Monday, June 28, 2010

Floating Along

Yes, there seems to be a continuing theme of water the last few weeks - but it is summer, after all, so this unintentional repetition seems appropriate!

I will admit, this photo was not even my idea but rather a request from my "traveling companion" for the day. I figured, "cute picture with some ducks floating along" but after a second look I realized there is so much more! Each duck is doing something different, much like you would see if a group of people walked by, indicative of its own "personality". The middle two ducks have their heads under water - either trying to cool off from the heat that seemed to stifle the air that afternoon or just hide from the camera. (How many times do people try to hide from the camera, making he/she look more ridiculous than before?) The next duck in line appears to be doing its own thing without a care in the world. He/she could be taking a different approach to cooling off - exert as little energy as possible. The last group of three seems to be simply following along at a much slower pace, possibly enjoying the scenery a little more.

When I took this picture, I was so wrapped up in trying to avoid the sun (which was almost impossible to do) and making sure the "subject was framed properly" that I paid little attention to what my "subject" was doing. Looking back at the photo allowed me an opportunity to see each duck separately and recognize its uniqueness: some ducks flap their wings in the water, while others bury their whole body under water with just a tail sticking out; some choose to waddle along the rocks and sand, while others appear to be "running" as their webbed feet flail beneath the water. Each one of them has a different way of doing things and much like "people watching" it's fun to see what a particular duck might do next.

That's the Golden Perspective...what's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment