Monday, June 14, 2010

Maybe a Little Too Close?

Are you grossed out? I hope not, because the lake at which this picture was taken was absolutely beautiful. As I drove by one day on my way to a shoot, I was absolutely mesmerized. Unfortunately, I did not have time to stop since I had to be at my shoot, but as I passed by on the way home the sun was still in a great position, with the lake as peaceful as earlier in the day! After telling you how beautiful the lake looked why choose a close-up picture of the lily pads and algae? Well, from far away you would miss the details you are able to enjoy in this photo...and yes, I mean the algae intertwined with the lilies! I'll let you use your imagination for the rest of the lake.

I stood on the lake shore amazed at everything that was living and growing under the water. Lilly pads always seem to intrigue me because they just sit so peacefully on the surface. What are they attached to? How does something grow without anything solid underneath? As you can see, the water was full of pads, but unfortunately, they were not all blooming yet. I have a feeling in a few weeks the lake will be full of gentle, white flowers.

My attention eventually turned to the algae. Normally, I would associate "funky green stuff" with nasty, brown water but not that sunny, Spring day. Never have I actually stopped and taken a picture of how the unusual organism seems to twist around everything within its reach. Something must have been in the air that day to make me take picture after picture. Maybe it was the sun beating down on the water...maybe the fact that the workday was nearing completion...or maybe, I just suddenly had a new appreciation for algae. Imagine the strength of this green growth to be so tightly secured around a tree branch; or the thickness to prevent any of the lilies from growing up through the middle (well, except that one!?!?). Isn't nature amazing sometimes!

After nearly 20 minutes I forced myself to put the camera away and head back to my car for the trip home. I was not reluctant to go home, I was disappointed to leave the water's edge and the peacefulness of everything that seemed to be growing beyond the surface.

Are you still grossed out? Hopefully not, but if you are let me know and I will try to stay away from "funky green stuff" next time.

That's the Golden Perspective...what's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment