Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The day I took this picture was absolutely beautiful...just look at the clear blue sky! You would never know it, but this corn field is just ten feet from a major two-lane road, where hundreds of cars travel everyday. I don't drive past everyday but at least two or three times a week; and every time I do I am looking for one thing: deer!

For years, deer have been known to graze through this field and then wander up to the hill in the background to settle in for the night. The amazing thing is, right across the street is a big strip mall with an even bigger one a quarter of a mile up the road!

The first time I saw deer in the field was about 15 years ago and I could not believe it. I figured it was a one-time occurrence, that the animals had somehow wondered the wrong way and wound up so close to the road. Then a few weeks later I saw them (or their friends perhaps!!!) again, but this time there was more. At this point I said to myself, "How could there be that many deer living in this area with so many stores, houses, and traffic close by?" I was informed that deer, apparently, do not need much room to survive and the little hill beyond the clearing would be plenty for a herd.

So after that day, a "tradition" began...I could not drive by this field without taking a quick look to see if there were any deer roaming around. Over the years, the number has increased and you can sometimes see upwards of 20 or 30 at a time. Now I know, this particular day I was not able to capture any of the animals snacking on the young corn (I don't even know - do deer eat corn?) but just imagine for a second a tiny doe prancing across the open space.

Is there something in your neighborhood or along your commute that just seems out of place?

Do you ever wonder how it got there in the first place?

I would guess that these herds of deer are remnants from a time when there were no strip malls or houses in this particular neighborhood - when animals of all kinds had free reign. Somehow, these "natives" have been able to adapt and hold on...in the meantime I enjoy the one out of ten times that I glance over at the field and see a lone deer making its way back towards the trees.

That's the Golden Perspective...what yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment