Monday, May 3, 2010

Recycled Art

Admittedly, I am not usually one for abstract art...but this display was fantastic! Unfortunately, I did not have as much time to look as I would have wanted because I was walking to a shoot and had to move-on quickly. I have to say right up front that my favorite part is the "person" standing to left of, what I would assume, is its creation.

After looking at this display for a few minutes I only came up with one idea of what it all means...but that's O.K. I think if I had more time, as I mentioned, I could have interpreted a little more. To me, this guy (yes, I'm just going to call it a "guy") seemed like a street vendor displaying his wares. Hidden amongst everything is a clock, valves, pipes, and other useful metal objects.

I got a feeling the artist intended for this piece to be fun and creative, which is why I think it appeals to my senses. I love how pieces of old steel and metal, that originally had other uses, were joined together to form something unique - it's almost recycling to the extreme. How often do you see a person made out of rebar? The clock toward the center of the picture has an actual clock face, but is housed possibly in material from other time devices. And is that a helmet down toward the bottom? I love how the person who created this conglomerate looked at a simple piece of metal but saw a whole different world...

Since this display of craftiness is on the side of a building, along a somewhat busy street, the rustic style is appropriate. If this piece was on display in a museum I honestly don't think I would have enjoyed it as much - it would have seemed unnatural. The fact that I turned the corner and there this "person" stood, proudly displaying his wares, is what makes the artwork fun. Whenever you find something in an unusual place you stop and take a second look. At the same time an object outside of its natural environment makes me step outside of my world; thereby also finding enjoyment in an unlikely situation.

That's the Golden Perspective...what's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment