Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Prep Time...

Right before a shoot I always take a few minutes to get focused. I try to put aside whatever business I was dealing with earlier in the day and think about the world in which I am about to become immersed. Recently, I had the opportunity to do my "preparation" over dinner at this restaurant - and what a great choice!

The restaurant had an indoor bar atmosphere and then an outside "garden patio" area. I positioned myself right between the two so I could enjoy both settings. As you could probably guess from the picture, I liked the outside scenery better. The inside bar was full of people who most likely had just left work and had stopped in for a quick cocktail to help unwind from a long day at the office. Others were probably locals who decided to join their significant other for an early dinner on a beautiful spring afternoon - yes, this happened to be a day when it actually felt like spring! The room was filled with a low hum of activity, while in contrast the outdoor patio was empty and quiet.

The patio was long and narrow, lined by picnic tables, which fit the style of the restaurant. At the far end was the "grill" where I purchased a fantastic sandwich. As I sat and ate my dinner just feet from the doorway I felt like I had the best of both rooms. I was able to watch the setting sun move from one window to the next, then turn to my left and see another couple position themselves at the bar for the beginning of "happy hour". After another bite of my sandwich I sat and looked at the aged brick walls, wondering what used to be housed inside of them - or was it always this neighborhood restaurant?

With all of this back and forth between rooms you're probably wondering when or how I ever prepared for my shoot. Well, in a way the hustle of inside and the calmness of the patio provided just the right mix: I was entertained enough to forget about all of past craziness and focus on my next job!

How do you prepare for something big?
Do you have to find that right balance between crowded and quiet?
How often, throughout the day, do you wish you could escape to someplace like this restaurant?

Sometimes the best prep time comes in the most unlikely place...

That's the Golden Perspective...what's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment