Wednesday, January 12, 2011

On a Winter Morning...

I started the morning out by shoveling snow and cleaning piles off my car. Although my neighborhood did not receive as much snow as originally forecast, there was still enough that it could not be ignored. In the midst of shoveling I was constantly distracted by the beautiful scenery created by the midnight snowfall. Everywhere I turned there was a different snowscape glistening in the sun! When I was finally done clearing away all of the snow I took out my camera, tuned out the sounds of plows and snowblowers, and was finally able to capture some of the snow-covered serenity.

There is a particular tree nearby that always catches my attention every time there is a snowfall. It is a white pine (don't be fooled, it's only by chance that I know this particular species) so the branches never appear very strong; they are somewhat thin and are covered with even thinner needles The snow usually piles up on the needles and then each branch starts to bend down toward the ground - sometimes so far that it looks like it is going to snap in half. In an effort to prevent the tree from losing any limbs, I usually walk over and clear off some of the snow, allowing the branches to, once again, sway in the cold winter air. This morning, however, the white pine was not in serious trouble, so I was able to enjoy the beauty of the snow nestled peacefully on the branches.

There is something very "wintery" about pine needles and snow: the contrasting colors which have become associated with the cold months, reminders of trudging through a tree farm in search of a perfect Christmas tree, the fragrance that snow seems to draw from the wood and help pass into the air, and on this particular morning, the way the sun danced between the needles and lit up the snow! Even though my feet were starting to go numb (I guess I didn't wear thick enough socks) and I was ready for a cup of anything hot, I could have stood under that tree for another hour. I wanted to enjoy the sunlight streaming through every snow-covered branch as it glowed against the bright blue sky. What a wonderful way to start the day!

That's the Golden Perspective...what's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment