Tuesday, January 18, 2011

In the Middle of Winter...


Winter is definitely in full force, much to many people's dismay. A good number of residents of the Mid-Atlantic woke up this morning to an icy, sloppy mess! Unfortunately, mornings like that are not much fun at all. At least if snow falls the roads and sidewalks are a little easier to clear. When freezing rain falls and the temperature drops, after some snow has already fallen, shoveling becomes even more of a workout than normal. This morning was one of those days. In the midst of clearing ice off my car I thought back to last week when I was cleaning off snow instead and the picturesque White Pine. I realized how unfair I was to tell everyone how pretty that particular tree is after a snowfall, but to have never shared a picture. Well, here you go - at least part of it!

I know finding beauty in the middle of a cold, icy day is not always easy. All you can usually think about are dangerous driving conditions and wet socks after having trudged through a sloppy, ice-filled parking lot. Last week when I took this photo everything was different. As you can see the sky was bright blue and the sun was helping to warm things up a little. This morning however, as I stood in a jacket and pants that were completely soaked, I tried to find some sort of "natural beauty" on a damp, cold day...the ice did look pretty as it crystallized on the bare tree branches and all of the grass appeared to have been transformed into a skating rink over night, but nothing compared to the White Pine covered in snow. I told myself that once the sun comes out (either tomorrow or the day after) everything will have a much more pleasing appearance...and the moment when I was drenched from head to toe would have passed.

So many people already are telling me that they are sick of winter and I feel a little bad for them. In their effort to rush through one season in order to arrive at the next they are missing everything right now! Nature aside, isn't it fun to watch all of the neighborhood kids make little snow jumps in the front yard and then slide down on their boards; or the occasional snowman adorned with the local professional sports paraphernalia; or the laughter coming from an afternoon snowball fight (either children or adults!). Winter may be cold and messy sometimes, but there is still a lot to enjoy!

That's the Golden Perspective...what's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment