Monday, April 19, 2010

A Long Way From the Expected

I thought this was such a cool looking church - almost European in style! One day I decided to take the scenic route to my shoot and passed this in a little town along the Delaware River. There is no chance at all to miss this unique building because it sits literally five feet from the road. In fact, I had to stand in the middle of one lane just to be able to take this picture.

I stood for a few minutes admiring the detail because it truly is like no other church I have ever seen before. The painted woodwork visible on the towers is a theme seen all over the building: around the windows, doors, and on every peak. I felt like I was staring at a picture which suddenly came to life - a picture of a church in some small European village. I could just see this building nestled up against sharp mountains with a sprawling green meadow and bed of flowers reaching out from its front door...the kind of church local residents walk to for weekly service, and then congregate in front of before heading their own way for another seven days - can't you just picture everyone standing around on a beautiful sunny day?...I almost forgot I was actually in eastern Pennsylvania and not Europe.


What do you think:

- of what region, state, country does this architecture remind you?
- what inspired this type of building in eastern PA?
- what part of the building is your favorite; what would you love to see a "close-up" of?


As I stood a little longer, I started to think how the building looked like a big cottage, a home where every guest is welcome! Unfortunately, time did not allow me to explore the inside of the church (assuming the door would have been open in the first place!) but I did a pretty good job of picturing the interior. Maybe someday I can venture back and see where my imagination takes me the second time.

That's the Golden Perspective...what's yours?



No comments:

Post a Comment