Thursday, January 12, 2012

What Do You Do Now?

I suddenly felt old as I passed this playground recently.  Where are the swings and the monkey bars; and what happened to those big domes that you could climb over, under, or through?  Are modern, sleek playgrounds another sign of a "technologically advanced" society?

This was not the first time I had seen this playground, but it was the first time I actually stopped to try and figure it out...and "figure out" is not an exaggeration.  There were odd little stool-type things positioned around these large octagons, some with springs for bouncing while others were secured firmly to the ground.  I stood there wondering if you actually have to be a child to understand what to do on such a playground.  Now, I've always thought of myself as a creative person with a pretty good imagination, but that still didn't help in this situation.  Aside from climbing up these geometric shapes, what else can you really do?  How can you imagine flying through the air without a swing or climbing through and between tall trees without monkey bars?  Have I reached another plateau in my life: the time when there is yet another thing that I don't understand from the younger generation?

Maybe this playground is supposed to be like life: an open slate for you to make of it whatever you wish.  This is your chance to fill the empty space with your own wishes, dreams, goals, and eventually achievements.

Even still, I wish I could do my dreaming on a swing!

That's the Golden Perspective...what's yours?





No comments:

Post a Comment