Thursday, September 1, 2011

It's Probably Not as Bad as You Think...

This is probably not the most beautiful picture ever, but you have to admit it's pretty cool! I'm not normally a fan of mushrooms in the ground or on my plate: they usually look fairly ugly sticking out of the grass or a flower bed and, in my opinion, do not taste very good in any food. For some reason, though, I thought this row of mushrooms looked interesting in the local park.

I had seen this whitish line forming in the grass a couple of days before but just ignored it. The day I took this photo the formation was much more prominent and could not be ignored. Despite how cool the sight was, and my desire to capture it in a photo, I still was not too crazy about stepping that close to such large, disgusting-looking mushrooms - but I really wanted the picture. I'm glad I did too, because once I was standing over the large fungi cluster I had a new appreciation. I was amazed at the straight line in which they were growing and wondered what caused that to happen (I still don't know, my best guess was a line of water running through the grass, but if anyone else has an idea let me know). I could also see the intricacies and uniqueness this species possessed. It is amazing how every mushroom you see growing someplace looks different than the one you saw the day before!

Suddenly I found myself interested in mushrooms...I still had no desire to eat one (especially those growing randomly in the park) but I wanted to learn more about this fungus. I looked up "mushrooms" and found quite an interesting history - to which I would be remiss if I didn't mention very prominently included my alma mater Penn State! A new-found appreciation has grown for something up till a week ago I didn't even want to touch.

Sometimes "beauty" can be found in the most unlikely places. Once I was able to put aside my disgust for mushrooms, I was able to appreciate their beauty growing carelessly in an open field.
Looking beyond the surface is when we truly find the best life has to offer...at home or work.


What are some places that might hold beauty in your life, but you overlook because of preconceived notions?

Have you ever passed up a business deal because you got hung-up on one negative aspect?

When were you able to turn a negative situation at work into a profitable, positive outcome?


When you are faced with the possibility of walking away from something because it may not be the best looking situation, wait...it might look a little different after a second glance.

That's the Golden Perspective...what's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment