Saturday, September 17, 2011

Is it Really Worth the Effort?

The big question right now is what happened to all of the water?  Given the ridiculous amount of rain that has flooded half of the country over the last month or so, how could this pond possibly be empty?  A few weeks ago this was so full the water was about to overflow the banks...now it's completely drained.

When I passed by recently I figured, by the looks of things, that the water was pumped out on purpose.  Then I started to wonder why...the majority of the rain has passed; the most recent tropical storms and hurricanes have come and gone, without any more in sight during the near future; and I haven't heard of this tiny pond causing any major problems.  Why go through the effort?  There must be some benefit even if it is unknown to the average citizen like myself.

The same sentiment happens occasionally with my business: I find myself doing things that make me say, "Why am I even bothering?"  Truth is, you never know what good or success could come out of one little action.  Building a business or career requires diligence, but more importantly many tiny steps.  Each of these tiny steps at the time could seem insignificant; however, when you put them all together you find success!

For instance, that meeting with you neighbor's golf buddy...seemed incidental to you, but your neighbor asked if you wouldn't helping the guy out so you accepted the meeting.

How many times have you attended a seminar and five minutes after sitting down have said, "This isn't going to help me at all"?  But it paid off because you wound up talking with the person sitting next to you, which eventually led to a sale.

I don't know what it is, but there must be some logical reason this pond was transformed into a basin of mud.  The true reason may never become clear, in the same way that you may never know how every action you take during the work day has a positive impact on your career - but that doesn't mean the reasons don't exist!  Sometimes it is better to simply accept that success is made of not only a lot of tiny "successes" but also some potential "failures".

That's the Golden Perspective...what's yours?   


P.S. - This same pond was pictured in Golden Perspectives about a year ago...does it look familiar to anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment