Tuesday, November 2, 2010

A Strong Finish...

Fall is such a colorful and mesmerizing time of year. I love traveling down the highway towards a blanket of red, yellow, and orange leaves; or going for a walk on a crisp afternoon across a sea of fallen leaves that crunch under my feet. One afternoon I spotted this tree and couldn't pass by without taking a picture. This tree is just a small example of the large-scale beauty that is seen throughout Fall.

I am always amazed by the brilliant colors of this time of year but even more so when I see a tree like this one. Every once in awhile I see a tree where only one portion of the leaves have changed, making for an exciting sight. I wish I knew what caused this to happen...maybe it's due to sunlight or water - or lack thereof. I can't even say that the red leaves were scattered throughout several other branches because they were not; there was not one red leaf anywhere else on the tree except the one branch pictured.

I can stand and stare at a tree like this for hours. The striking colors are such a compliment to a blue, Fall sky. Year after year I go through the summer wondering how all of these boring, green leaves can suddenly be set ablaze during September and October, changing an entire landscape. Instead of blending in with its surroundings, these bright trees become the center of attention. People travel for hundreds of miles to witness a marvel of nature. (The travel part is definitely true since I recently met a family from Arkansas who traveled to the northeast to see the changing leaves.) Once people have seen such an array of color they want to capture it forever...how often have you seen someone along the side of the road collecting leaves? You may have seen me. I have pulled over my car or hopped off my bicycle many times because I spotted a small patch of color that I wanted to carry home with me. After much care and concern, I am able to preserve this "pallet" of red, orange, and brown for years to come.

Although I love summertime and warm weather there is something to be said about the Fall: there is plenty of excitement for all of your senses (the smell of a freshly carved pumpkin or the sound of crunching leaves) but most especially your sense of sight! Just before the leaves fall from their branches they provide quite a show. Some may say that nature has saved the best for last.

That's the Golden Perspective...what's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment