Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A Place to Relax...


A few weeks ago, when I shared a picture of some Fall leaves, I mentioned the sights and sounds of the season. I said how Fall is such a fantastic time of year that can bring so many senses to life. Since I already shared one of the "sights" I figured it would be good to share one of the "sounds".

Even without a calendar I can tell that Fall is approaching when I hear the sound of Canadian Geese flying over my neighborhood. Throughout the course of three months hundreds of geese fly south in search of a warmer climate, and my town must be in their direct flight path! In a strange way, it wouldn't feel like Fall without the sound of these geese flying overhead. If I happen to hear a lone bird at some other time during the year I have to stop and think for a second what day of the year it is...my mind immediately thinks about the colorful days of autumn. These animals have become as much of a staple in my life as the changing leaves and pumpkin seeds!

During the day, several flocks are guaranteed to stop for a short time at a local pond. You might have to look closely, but lined up across the center of the pond (they couldn't make it easier to snap a picture by being closer to the edge) are about twenty geese. I often wonder why they seem to congregate in this particular area: proximity to a body of water; lots of open, grassy areas; maybe a good source of food. As I said, this does not happen occasionally since these geese cover this area everyday of the week with a sea of black and tan feathers.

Does anyone know much about geese? What makes them "layover" in certain areas? While I'm posing a question, I have always wondered this: if these birds are native to Canada (which I'm assuming they are based upon the name) why do they have to travel south for the winter? Shouldn't they be used to cold weather and be satisfied staying in the north? Perhaps it's all relative...they travel to someplace that is warm for them, but for other birds would be considered cold.


What are some sights or sounds that remind you of Fall?

Are they unique to the area in which you live?

Is there anything else that reminds you of a specific season?


If the season was longer we could talk about the many smells of Fall...who knows, maybe there is time!

That's the Golden Perspective...what's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment