Thursday, March 4, 2010

Timed Out

I can probably guess what you are thinking...a parking meter? Well, in my travels I have to deal with parking meters very often - and usually wind up getting a ticket.

The day I took I this picture I was walking back to my car with all of my equipment hoping I did not receive a ticket. The problem lies in the fact that I put what I think is enough money in the meter, but then my video shoot goes longer than expected and I am not able to get back to my car before time runs out. Fortunately, this particular day, even though the meter had probably long since expired, I did not receive a ticket!

I then sat in my car eating my lunch thinking about how it almost feels as though I am at battle with the parking meters and their attendants - and I am not the only one. When I joke with other people who work in this particular town everyone has the same sentiment: you have to be careful because as soon as your meter runs out those attendants are on the spot to slap a ticket on your windshield! In an amazing way, these four-feet high meters seem to have taken on a looming presence around town; they have become a force of which everyone is cognizant but few can outsmart!

Most likely, wherever you live or work you have a similar situation: diligent parking attendants that make sure the city gets its rightful dues, while the daily workers try to push time to the absolute last second before handing over their hard-earned money. How often do you deal with the force of parking meters...and do you ever win?

It's amazing what one thinks about over lunch while staring at an expired parking meter!

That's the Golden Perspective...what's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment