Sunday, March 14, 2010

If I Only Knew Your Name...

I thought this tree was pretty interesting so I headed over to take a picture, but then as I got closer I realized it was even cooler than I originally thought! I loved how the branches shot off in every direction like arms spreading out from a torso. Each branch appeared to have a different "personality", causing it to go off in its own direction - to do its own thing. They stretched up, out, across: every possible way in their quest for the sun (which was limited this particular day).

After a few minutes I started to look at each individual branch and noticed some amazing detail. I was fascinated by all of the empty knobs that carpeted the lower portion of the trunk. I could see where one off-shoot started to grow, was trimmed or cut off completely, and then a new sprout began to bud farther up the branch instead. With this empty hole available I started to wonder who or what "moved in"! The tree looked fairly old, so imagine the number of critters that could have made a home in portions of its hallowed-out trunk? I did not see anything while I was taking the picture but that does not mean no one was around!

I also was curious about the bark because it was so textured and covered in a variety of colors. Now if I was a botanist, or in some related field, I could tell you what each "color" was...but I am not, so instead I just marvel at the tree's appearance. What purpose did the texture serve - aside from just looking cool - and why did the colors lessen as I gazed farther up the branches? I was tempted to start climbing so I could appreciate what the higher appendages had to offer but figured the "owners" of the tree might not be crazy about that idea...

I would like to go back in the Spring and see this tree again. I would like to see it covered with flowers or leaves - whatever it chooses to share with its passersby. Will the story be different if the trunk is covered and I cannot see it or the branches as well? Will I see more critters running around?

Have you ever stopped and wondered why a particular aspect of nature looks the way it does? Even though I still cannot tell you what kind of tree this is, I have a better appreciation of how it grows and the beauty it can share on a cool winter day or hot summer afternoon!

That's the Golden Perspective...what's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment