Thursday, February 10, 2011

A Meeting at the Corner...

After all of the talk last week about "old buildings", and the character that is usually embedded in their walls, I had to share this photo. I was driving through a little town, that I think literally has only one stop sign, and spotted the local Post Office. Granted it doesn't have a tremendous amount of ornamentation or elaborate design work, but I think it still tells part of the story of this small town.

The more I look at this brick building the more interesting features I notice. I didn't realize how ornate the wood trim was around the roof line or the design above each window. Remove that large metal awning from the front of the building and it has a simple, classical look to it. (Don't ask me what type of "classical look"...remember, I have a film degree not an architectural...) I imagine at one time the building had a very stately appearance standing prominently on the corner. Much of the story of this building, I believe, is hidden...

I wonder what was around the area when the building was first built and was it even a post office. I would think, originally, most people used to walk to this post office instead of driving up in cars as they do now. I wonder if its lobby or front porch used to be a common meeting place for the local residents. The building sits at the main intersection of this particular town, so I would not be surprised at all if people did congregate inside or around the front door. Since most of the residents don't live near each other, small towns such as this usually some sort of meeting place. A spot where they can catch one another up on their lives or speculate about the upcoming farming season...well, you know most of these towns were probably farming communities, right! Imagine what life would have been like walking to the post office instead of driving there in 2 minutes; the trip became more of an afternoon adventure than a "quick errand". Once you arrived, there were probably "neighbors" you had not seen in awhile so why not stay for 20 - 30 minutes to socialize?

This building has experienced many comings and goings over the years; I wonder what kinds of stories it has gathered along the way. As a witness to the perpetual growth and decline of a town, I'm sure there are many amazing details...

Have you ever witnessed one of these "centers of town" before?

Do you live in an area where one might still exist?

Old buildings do so much more than impress a passerby visually, they can also share a part of the local history.

That's the Golden Perspective...what's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment