Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Changing with the Seasons...

Don't be confused - yes, this is a picture of ducks swimming in the middle of a plowed corn field. As the season changes many locations take on uses different than normally expected: landscape nurseries transform into Winter Wonderlands as they sell Christmas trees and wreaths; local baseball fields turn into sledding fields; and apparently corn fields turn into makeshift ponds!

Recently, my town was experiencing a flash flood as, what felt like, two inches of rain fell in less than 12 hours. Throughout the storm, streets were flooded, shutters and gutters tossed into bushes, and cars floated down the highway. This particular morning, as I drove to my first meeting, I don't think any of my car's tires touched the road at all...I would have been better suited with a row boat!

On my way home, soaked, cold, and ready for a warm cup of anything, I passed this flooded corn field. I originally stopped at the other end, marveling at how two/three inches of water lay where corn stalks stood just a few weeks ago, when suddenly my attention was diverted. In the distance I saw ducks having a great time for themselves swimming around in the rain. I had to laugh because so much rain had collected in this field that it was deep enough for these birds to go swimming. How could they know that due to the obscene amount of rain falling I could barely see out my front window or that my shoes were wet through to my socks - they seemed thrilled at the sudden appearance of a makeshift swimming hole! As I sat there I thought about all of the people I know - who will remain nameless - that don't like stepping outside in a mere drizzle and here these ducks were reveling in a deluge of water...I know, I know, they're ducks and are supposed to get wet! At least someone/something was benefiting from the storm.

As temperatures and snow begin to fall I'm sure there will be many more sights that will seem "out of the norm" and I hope they are all as entertaining as ducks swimming in the middle of a corn field!

That's the Golden Perspective...what's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment